Question And Answer
Subject: Partion HUF u/s 171
Querist: CA shriram Puranik
Answered by:
Tags: ,
Date: July 24, 2021
Query asked by CA shriram Puranik

Mr B is a coparsenor of bigger HUF ‘A HUF’. On earlier partial partion of A HUF in 1975 , Mr B HUF Consiting of himself , his wife Major son and married daughter is also assessed separately as B HUF .  B HUF has effected partition of its all assets and liabilities . Amongst coparceners and wife of B , will this partion of B HUF is complete partition u/s171 or still it will be treated as partial partition ?

File Uploaded: Not Available

Answer given by

Under Hindu Law, there can be a HUF within a HUF. Hence total partition of smaller HUF will be valid if the property of smaller HUF is divided by metes and bounds.
As per section 171 (1) A Hindu family heitherto assessed as undivided shall be deemed for the purposes of this Act to be a Hindu undivided family , except where and so far as a finding of partition has been given under this section in respect of the Hindu undivided family . It is desirable file the application and get the order section 171 of the Act.

It will be treated as Total Partition.

Disclaimer: This article is only for general information and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers desiring legal advice should consult with an experienced professional to understand the current law and how it may apply to the facts of their case. Neither the author nor and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any inaccurate or incomplete information in this article nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. No part of this document should be distributed or copied (except for personal, non-commercial use) without express written permission of

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *