Question And Answer
Subject: Exemption u/s 56 (2) (x)
Answered by:
Tags: ,
Date: December 12, 2021

my son who is canadian PR holder has gifted a sum of Rs. 5 Lac in FY2020-21 to me. how can i show this in ITR & claim the exemption?

File Uploaded: Not Available

Your son is your relative as per the term “relative” defined under explanation (e) to section 56(2)(vii) of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (Act). Therefore, the same is exempted income under section 56(2)(x) of the Act. It is advisable to show the gift in the Income-tax return under the head “Income from other sources”.

Disclaimer: This article is only for general information and is not intended to provide legal advice. Readers desiring legal advice should consult with an experienced professional to understand the current law and how it may apply to the facts of their case. Neither the author nor and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any inaccurate or incomplete information in this article nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. No part of this document should be distributed or copied (except for personal, non-commercial use) without express written permission of
One comment on “Exemption u/s 56 (2) (x)
  1. Nem Singh says:

    Gift from relatives defined in section 56 not an income . It is capital receipts and there is no category in ITR to disclose Gift received from relatives but justification can asked along with documentary evidence during scrutiny assessment, if fixed for hearing. Thus need to maintain the records but no need to declare the same in ITR as there is no such column to explain it in ITR.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *