Subscribe To Our Free Newsletter:

CIT vs. AMCO Power Systems Ltd (Karnataka High Court)

COURT:
CORAM: ,
SECTION(S):
GENRE:
CATCH WORDS: ,
COUNSEL:
DATE: October 7, 2015 (Date of pronouncement)
DATE: October 29, 2015 (Date of publication)
AY: 2000-01
FILE: Click here to download the file in pdf format
CITATION:
S. 79: As the purpose of the provision is to prevent misuse of losses by transferring ownership, it should be restricted to cases of transfer of 'beneficial shareholding'. A transfer of shares of the loss-making company by the shareholder-company to its subsidiary is not hit by s. 79

Upto the assessment year 2000-01, all the shares of the respondent-Company were held by AMCO Batteries Limited (ABL). In the assessment year 2001-02, the holding of ABL was reduced to 55% and the remaining 45% shares were transferred to a subsidiary of ABL, namely AMCO Properties and Investments Limited (for short ‘the APIL’). In the assessment year 2002-03, ABL further transferred 49% of its remaining 55% shares to Tractors and Farm Equipments Limited (for short ‘the ‘TAFE’) and consequently ABL retained only 6% shares and its subsidiary APIL held 45% shares and the remaining 49% shares were with TAFE. Similar shareholding continued for the assessment year 2003-04. The Tribunal held that 51% of the voting power was beneficially held with the ABL during the assessment years 2002-03 and 2003-04 also, and would thus be entitled to carry forward and set-off of business losses for the previous years. The High Court had to consider whether the Tribunal was correct in holding that the assessee would be entitled to carry forward and setoff of business loss despite the assessee not owning 51% voting powers in the company as per Section 79 of the Act by taking the beneficial share holding of M/s. Amco Properties & Investments Ltd. HELD by the High Court:

(i) Section 79 provides that where there is a change in shareholding of a Company, no loss incurred in any year prior to the previous year shall be carried forward and set-off against the income of the previous year, unless on the last day of the previous year the shares of the Company carrying not less than 51% of the voting power were beneficially held by persons who beneficially held shares of the Company carrying not less than 51% of the voting power on the last day of the year or years in which the loss was incurred.

(ii) The fact that ABL is the holding Company of APIL, which is the wholly owned subsidiary of ABL and that Board of Directors of APIL are controlled by ABL, is not disputed. The submission of the learned counsel for the respondent-assessee that the shareholding pattern is distinct from voting power of a Company, has force. Section 79 of the Act specifies that “not less than 51% of the voting power were beneficially held by persons who beneficially held shares of the Company carrying not less than 51% of the voting power.” Since the ABL was having complete control over the APIL, which is the wholly owned subsidiary of ABL, in our view, even though the shareholding of ABL may have reduced to 6% in the year in question, yet by virtue of being the holding Company, owning 100% shares of APIL, the voting power of ABL cannot be said to have been reduced to less than 51%, because together, both the companies had the voting power of 51% which was controlled by ABL.

(iii) The purpose of Section 79 of the Act would be that benefit of carry forward and set-off of business losses for previous years of a company should not be misused by any new owner, who may purchase the shares of the Company, only to get the benefit of set-off of business losses of the previous years, which may bear profits in the subsequent years after the new owner takes over the Company. For such purpose, it is provided under the said Section that 51% of the voting power which was beneficially held by a person or persons should continue to be held, then only such benefit could be given to the Company. As we have observed above, though ABL may not have continued to hold 51% shares, but Section 79 speaks of 51% voting power, which ABL continued to have even after transfer of 49% shares to TAFE, as it controlled the voting power of APIL, and together, ABL had 51% voting power. Meaning thereby, the control of the company remained with ABL as the change in shareholding did not result in reduction of its voting power to less than 51% (Commissioner of Income Tax V/S Italindia Cotton Private Limited (1988) 174 ITR 160 (SC) referred)

Posted in All Judgements, High Court

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*